Netgalley Review: Pop Goes The Weasel

Pop Goes the Weasel: DI Helen Grace 2 by M. J. Arlidge (11-Sep-2014) Paperback - M.J. Arlidge

I received this book via NetGalley to give an honest review.

I enjoyed book one where we the readers were introduced to Helen Grace. I would say you could read each book by their own but you may not understand why Helen is the way she is. So I would recommend reading book one Eeny Meeny

In book two there is another gruesome crime that has hit and Helen is having to get back into the swing of things after what happened with her sister and the crimes that happened within the story of Eeny Meeny.

Helen enters her first crime scene since she has been back and it is not good. The victim's heart has been carved out of his chest but why? When the package gets delivered to the home of his wife and children Helen knows there is something more than meets the eye with this one. It is a race against time as it seems the bodies are piling up quickly and it doesn't help when Helen is fighting against her new boss who seems to have it out for her.

Now when we find out who the killer is and why this person is doing it, you can't help but feel something. The background we are given when the answers come to light just break your heart or at least it did to mine. Do you justify the killings or do you know that wrong is wrong no matter what has caused it?

While trying to capture a killer Helen is also trying to keep an eye on a young man. It seems that this young man is someone special to her but then things start to go down hill when the nosy reporter starts posting things in the newspaper.

We even get to see a bit of Charlie in this one and what she plans to do with her life.

There is some talk of rape, prostitution and of course death. It is a great thriller and I am liking who Helen is. She has her own demons she is trying to work through and makes a damn good copper. Can't wait to see what happens in book three.

The only issue I had and it was the same with book one is the page breaks. If you are changing scenes or different characters please please use a page break or these symbols *** it makes it so much easier to know what is going on.